• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

1 Tim 1 Timothy Charged to Oppose False Teachers

C

CherubRam

1 Timothy 1
3 As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer 4 or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God’s work—which is by faith. 5 The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 Some have departed from these and have turned to meaningless talk. 7 They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.

Greek Myths

Angels
Hell
Hades
Tartarus

False Doctrines
Trinitarianism
Sunday Sabbath
Christ went to Hell
Sunday Resurrection
Calling Priest Father
Christ died on a Cross

1 Timothy 1
3 As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer 4 or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God’s work—which is by faith. 5 The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 Some have departed from these and have turned to meaningless talk. 7 They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.

Greek Myths

Angels
Hell
Hades
Tartarus

False Doctrines
Trinitarianism
Sunday Sabbath
Christ went to Hell
Sunday Resurrection
Calling Priest Father
Christ died on a Cross

Most of Paul's opposition were Judaizers, which is why the question of genealogies is usually mentioned (the tendency of Judaism to favor the most direct descedancies from the 12 sons of Jacob). The myths would have been bizarre uses of accounts from the Torah, spun out in symbolism.

Most of Paul's opposition were Judaizers, which is why the question of genealogies is usually mentioned (the tendency of Judaism to favor the most direct descedancies from the 12 sons of Jacob). The myths would have been bizarre uses of accounts from the Torah, spun out in symbolism.
They did have problems with the Jews, but the Gentiles also.

Galatians 2:14
But when I saw that they are not walking uprightly to the truth of the good news, I said to Peter before all, `If thou, being a Jew, in the manner of the nations dost live, and not in the manner of the Jews, how the nations dost thou compel to Judaize?

??? "What does “he ascended” mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions?" (Eph. 4:9)
Christ said he would be in the grave three days and three nights. He did not go anywhere because he was dead, until God resurrected him.
Pagans believed there was a Hell in the lower earthly regions. Hell is not a belief in Orthodox Judaism.

They did have problems with the Jews, but the Gentiles also.

Galatians 2:14
But when I saw that they are not walking uprightly to the truth of the good news, I said to Peter before all, `If thou, being a Jew, in the manner of the nations dost live, and not in the manner of the Jews, how the nations dost thou compel to Judaize?

Actually that is where the Judaizers were pressuring Peter.

Christ said he would be in the grave three days and three nights. He did not go anywhere because he was dead, until God resurrected him.
Pagans believed there was a Hell in the lower earthly regions. Hell is not a belief in Orthodox Judaism.
So you disagree with Paul!

So you disagree with Paul!
I suspect that a Catholic added verse 9 of Eph.
For one, Orthodox Jews do not believe in a Hell.
For two, judgement day has not come yet.
for three, the bible teaches annihilationism.

Back